* CLIA Director was an invited speaker on the theme 'Property ownership, land rights and gender challenges under customary law' at the Reflections on Gender in the Context of Customary Law in the African Continent Conference, organised by the University of South Africa from 11-12 August 2021. Click here for more.
* CLIA Director was an invited speaker on the theme “The anatomy of customary law: separating customary law from colonial and contemporary distortions” at the conference on Customary Law and Social Justice organised by the Law Trust Chair in Social Justice at Stellenbosch University on 25 August 2021. Click here for more.
* A Diala, ‘A survey of the foundational values of indigenous African law in four countries,’ presented at the Re-Imagining Agenda 2063 Conference hosted by the Peter A. Allard School of Law and Liu Institute Network for Africa, University of British Columbia from 21-24 June 2021.
* A Diala, ‘Coloniality and the future of laws in sub-Saharan Africa,’ presented at the 7th Juris Diversitas Annual Conference: “The Dark Side of the Law” held virtually on 9 - 11 June 2021.
* A Diala, ‘A postmodern view of gender and customary law in South Africa,’ presented at the Law and Society Association Conference on “Crisis, Healing, Re-Imagining,” Chicago, USA, 26-30 May 2021.
Media and outreach
* L Mwambene and Mgidlana published 'Challenges of criminalising ukuthwala and protecting girls in South Africa'. Click here for more.
* CLIA’s director granted a television interview on 3 May 2021 with E.TV on inheritance and succession laws in South Africa in the context of the leadership tussle in the Zulu Kingdom.